Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Plans




It’s early Monday morning. It’s been a week since school got out. As usual I spent the first week of summer break wallowing in the freedom of not having a schedule to follow. I could spend the summer that way, but I would return to school with the knowledge that I accomplished little. I am a planner. I need the structure of schedules and plans to be truly happy.

One of my plans for the summer is to get in shape. I joined the Y a couple of months ago when I concluded that Walking for Fitness was not enough. I went every evening over spring break. It made a difference. I want/need to slide into that schedule again.

Working online is another activity that needs to be added to the schedule. I don’t want to build traditional lenses. I’ve started drawing again and building coloring pages is extremely satisfying. I finished one yesterday. I’m very happy with Critters in the Garden. Each lens is getting better. I used to draw all the time but haven’t in the last few years (closer to thirty years.) It’s not quite like riding a bicycle but the skill is returning. With luck I’ll be drawing and building coloring lenses all summer.

If I can balance the need to draw with my desire to get in shape, it will be a very satisfying summer. I need a satisfying summer in order to handle the challenge of teaching again in the fall.

The first week of summer is gone. It’s time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment